Each spring, Petersburg City Public Schools is part of the regional kindergarten registration day organized by Smart Beginnings. The 2018 kindergarten registration day is April 19. On that date, all four elementary schools in Petersburg City Public Schools will be open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. to register incoming kindergartners.
Children who will be 5 years old by Sept. 30 should register at the elementary school they will attend, except that children who currently attend Westview Early Childhood Education Center will register there for kindergarten.
Here is what parents or guardians need to bring with them to register incoming kindergartners:
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of residence (such as current lease or deed of a residence, rent receipt, mortgage statement or utility bill; families who live in another’s home must submit a notarized “lives with” form)
- photo ID for parent or legal guardian
Several forms must be filled out during kindergarten registration; some of those forms can be downloaded from this page and filled out in advance. Children should accompany their parents to kindergarten registration for a brief evaluation. Also, before school starts in the fall, parents must supply medical records showing their child has had a physical exam within 12 months of the first day of school and listing the dates of each state-required immunization.
Here is information about each Petersburg elementary school:
- A.P. Hill Elementary, 804-861-3765, 1450 Talley Ave.
- J.E.B. Stuart Elementary, 804-862-7012, 100 Pleasants Lane
- Walnut Hill Elementary, 804-861-0299, 300 W. South Blvd.
- Robert E. Lee Elementary, 804-861-0155, 51 Gibbons Ave.