- Blandford Academy
School Board elects chair, vice chair
During its Jan. 3 meeting, the Petersburg School Board elected its chair and vice chair for 2018:
- Kenneth L. Pritchett, who represents Ward 3, was re-elected chair. A resident of Petersburg for more than 30 years, he was first elected to the School Board in 2006 and has served as chair for a decade. Additionally, he chairs the Virginia School Boards Association’s Southside Region, which covers almost 20 localities. Pritchett graduated summa cum laude with a bachelor’s degree in interdisciplinary studies from Norfolk State University and magna cum laude with an associate degree in applied science from John Tyler Community College. Currently, he is working on a master’s degree in pre-elementary education at Norfolk State University. Pritchett has two daughters: Ebonie, a 2015 graduate of Norfolk State University, and Faith, currently enrolled at Virginia State University.
- Steven L. Pierce Sr., who represents Ward 1, was re-elected vice chair. A native of Petersburg and proud to have been educated in Petersburg City Public Schools, he was first elected to the School Board in 2006. His professional career spans more than 40 years: 23 years in the U.S. Army where he achieved the rank of master sergeant (retired), 16 years with Delhaize America aka Food Lion (retired) and currently with the Department of Corrections where he has spent the past five years teaching job skills to offenders. Pierce earned a bachelor’s degree in human services management from the University of Phoenix and an associate degree from Cornell University. He is married to Elaine, who is a retired educator, and they have two sons and five grandchildren.
Here is a complete list of Petersburg School Board members:
- Chair Kenneth L. Pritchett, Ward 3
- Vice Chair Steven L. Pierce Sr., Ward 1
- Atiba H. Muse, Ward 2
- Dr. Wayne D. Scott, Ward 4
- Lois A. Long, Ward 5
- Bernard J. Lundy Jr., Ward 6
- Adrian T. Dance Sr., Ward 7
School Board meetings are generally held at 6:30 p.m. on the first and third Wednesdays of each month in the School Administrative Offices, 255 South Boulevard East. Detailed information about School Board meetings is available via BoardDocs.