This student and parent handbook, which in previous years was called the rights and responsibilities handbook/code of conduct, provides vital information about Petersburg City Public Schools including
- plans for improving student and school achievement
- helpful information about Petersburg schools
- student rights and responsibilities
- standards of student conduct, which apply at bus stops, on buses, on school property and during school-related activities, and consequences for violating the standards of student conduct
- expectations and rights of parents/guardians
Title I notices
As the parent or guardian of a student in a Petersburg City Public School that is receiving federal Title I funds, you have the right to inquire about the licensing of the classroom teachers who instruct your child, and statistical information about your child’s school.
Petersburg City Public Schools is committed to keeping parents and families informed by maintaining open communication. If you have any specific questions regarding your child’s education or school environment, please contact your child’s teacher or school principal.
Federal law allows you to ask for certain information about your child’s teacher and requires the school division to give you this information in a timely manner if it is requested. You have the right to request the following information:
- Whether the teacher has met Virginia Department of Education qualifications and licensing criteria for the grade levels and subject areas he or she teaches
- Whether the teacher is teaching under emergency or other provisional status through which the Virginia Department of Education qualification or licensing criteria have been waived
- And lastly, if your child receives services from any instructional assistants or similar paraprofessionals, the qualifications of those individuals.
- Petersburg City Public Schools is committed to providing quality instruction for all students and does so by employing the most properly licensed and endorsed individuals to teach and support each student. We send home letters to our families if the following information has not been met. Please feel free to contact our Human Resources Department in Petersburg City Public Schools if you have any questions about the license requirements of your students teachers.
School Quality Profile
Federal law and state procedures provide you with access to information about your child’s school through the Virginia School Quality Profile. The Virginia School Quality Profile provides information on teacher quality and education, student assessment, school enrollment, accountability (accreditation), learning climate, and division per pupil finances for the state as a whole and for individual schools.
The Virginia School Quality Profile for each Petersburg City Public School is easily accessible at each school's website or on this page of the district website. School quality reports are also available in each school’s parent resource office.