Degrees and Certifications:
Dr. Marcus J. Newsome
Marcus J. Newsome was appointed superintendent of Petersburg City Public Schools in 2016. In partnership with the School Board, all schools are accredited by the Virginia Department of Education for 2018-19; two schools are accredited and four are accredited with conditions. To support learning, all students in grades 3 through 12 have Chromebooks, allowing them to access digital instructional content.
Previously, Dr. Newsome served as superintendent of Chesterfield County Public Schools, one of the nation’s 100 largest districts. Under his leadership, test scores and graduation rates reached all-time highs and each of the district’s 63 schools were fully accredited. The district was a leader in the use of social media, blended learning, project-based learning and 21st-century career and technical education. The district also implemented the largest Chromebook initiative in the country. In 2015, the district was recognized at a White House ceremony as one of only six #GoOpen Ambassador school districts in the country by the U.S. Office of Educational Technology for transforming from a text to a digital environment.
Before moving to Chesterfield County, Dr. Newsome served as superintendent of Newport News Public Schools, the largest school division on the Virginia peninsula, where all high schools were ranked among America’s best by Newsweek magazine. He has also worked in Prince George’s County (Maryland) Public Schools, the nation’s 17th-largest school district with 135,000 students, and in the District of Columbia Public Schools, where he began his career as an art and mathematics teacher.
Dr. Newsome has served as a consultant to members of Congress, state and local elected officials and national and international business leaders. He was appointed by Gov. Tim Kaine in 2006 to serve as vice chair of the state’s education and policy transition team and was appointed by Gov. Terry McAuliffe in 2014 to the Governor’s Task Force on Local Government Mandates.
Current and past service:
• Chair of Bridging Richmond (Cradle to Career) Leadership Council
• Chair of the Virginia Commonwealth University Metropolitan Educational Research Consortium
• Chair of the College of William and Mary’s School-University Research Network
• Chair of the MathScience Innovation Center Board of Directors
• Chair of the Virginia Association of School Superintendents Legislative Committee
• Chair of the Maggie L. Walker Governor’s School Superintendents Steering Committee
• Vice chair of the Virginia Statewide K-12 Advisory Council
• Smart Beginnings Greater Richmond Board of Directors
• Board of Directors of United Way the Virginia Peninsula
• Board of Director of United Way of Greater Richmond and Petersburg
• Boy Scouts of America Colonial Virginia Council Executive Committee
• Community In Schools of Virginia Board of Directors
• Mentor with the Virginia Association of School Superintendents
• Founded the Newport News Parent University Network
• Founder of Mega Mentors
• Founder of the Virginia Region 1 Superintendent’s Professional Development Consortium
• Harvard University Associate in Practice
• Associate professor at Virginia Commonwealth University
• Adjunct professor at Virginia State University
• Member of the Minority Recruitment Taskforce at Christopher Newport University
He earned a doctorate in educational leadership from Bowie State University in Maryland, a doctorate in religious education from the International Seminary in Plymouth, Fla., a master’s degree in administration and supervision from Bowie State University and a bachelor’s degree in art education from Elizabeth City State University.
Dr. Newsome’s awards include the FBI Community Service Award, Prince George’s County Human Relations Commission Community Service Award, Virginia Region 1 Superintendent of the Year Award, Presidential Citation from the National Association for Equal Opportunity in Higher Education, the NAACP Living Legion Award and Virginia School Boards Association Award of Distinction. In addition to his work as a public educator, Dr. Newsome has worked as a professional artist, calligrapher, musician and ordained minister. He is married to a former public school teacher and is the father of three children.