Each spring, Petersburg City Public Schools is part of the regional kindergarten registration day organized by Smart Beginnings. The 2019 kindergarten registration day is April 11. On that date, all four elementary schools in Petersburg City Public Schools will be open 9 a.m.-6 p.m. to register incoming kindergartners.
Children who will be 5 years old by Sept. 30 should register at the elementary school they will attend, except that children who currently attend Westview Early Childhood Education Center will register there for kindergarten.
Families who missed the April 11 registration day should call the school their child will attend and make an appointment to register for kindergarten as soon as possible.
Here is what parents or guardians need to bring with them to register incoming kindergartners:
- parent’s photo ID (or other)
- child’s certified original birth certificate
- proof of residency in Petersburg by providing one of these documents:
- current lease
- current deed
- current rent receipt
- current mortgage statement
- current utility bill
- If the parent/guardian does not have one of those current documents in their name, then they must fill out and have notarized the lives-with form.
Several forms must be filled out during kindergarten registration; some of those forms can be downloaded from this page and filled out in advance. Children should accompany their parents to kindergarten registration for a brief evaluation. Also, before school starts in the fall, the parent/guardian must provide a completed Virginia school entrance health form, which includes record of physical exam within 12 months of the first day of school and dates of each state-required immunization.
Here is information about each Petersburg elementary school:
- Cool Spring Elementary, 804-861-3765, 1450 Talley Ave.
- Pleasants Lane Elementary, 804-862-7012, 100 Pleasants Lane
- Lakemont Elementary, 804-861-0155, 51 Gibbons Ave.
- Walnut Hill Elementary, 804-861-0299, 300 W. South Blvd.