The district uses Absence Management (AESOP) for the recording of all absences and the dispatching of all substitute teachers.
On Feb. 20, 2019, the Petersburg School Board eliminated a previous requirement that substitute teachers have completed at least 60 college credits. Here are policy GCE requirements to become a substitute teacher in Petersburg schools:
- be at least 18 years old, with preference given to persons 21 years old or older
- possess good moral character
- hold a high school diploma or have passed a high school equivalency examination approved by the Board of Education
- attend orientation to school policies and procedures
- Completion of online application
- Evidence of a negative tuberculin test (or chest X-ray)
- Attend an orientation session; orientations take place 9:30-11:30 a.m. on the last Friday of each month at the Administrative Offices, 255 E. South Blvd.
- Suitable criminal background check
- Dyslexia module
- Child abuse recognition
- If you have CPR/first aid/AED training, please provide a copy of your card/certificate.
Rate of pay
New substitute teachers will be paid only upon becoming an active substitute in our system and working at least one day:
- substitute teachers with at least a bachelor's degree: $75 per day
- all other substitute teachers: $68 per day
There are also opportunities for substitute instructional assistants (teacher's aides) and secretaries. The rates are $53 per day for substitute instructional assistants and $56 per day for secretarial substitutes.